Family and Education
“Families and homes go together. This makes us see how important it is to insist on the rights of the family and not only those of individuals. The family is a good which society cannot do without, and it ought to be protected. ‘The Church has always held it part of her mission to promote marriage and the family and to defend them against those who attack them,’ especially today, when they are given scarce attention in political agendas.”
— Pope Francis, Amoris Laetitia: On Love in the Family, paragraph 44, March 2016
The Conference advocates for a range of public policy initiatives that preserve, protect and support marriage, the lifelong union of a man and a woman; the family, including policies that ensure all full-time workers have the resources they need to raise their families; and education and the right of parents to ensure their children have the education that best meets their needs.
News, statements or actions
- Administration’s immigration principles don’t protect immigrant children, family, says US Bishop chairman
- USCCB appoints new members to Charter for Protection of Children and Young People national board
- Loving families central to bringing joy, mercy, Pope Francis
- Vatican welcomes three refugee families from Syria
- Synod 2018: On Young People, the Faith and Vocational Discernment
- 2014-2015 Synods of Bishops on the Family
- Amoris Laetitia: On Love in the Family, Pope Francis
Living our faith
Catholic Church ministries and resources that serve marriage, families and education include:
- Adoption and foster care, economic assistance and mental health, job and financial counseling: Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Arlington, and, in the Diocese of Richmond, Catholic Charities of Eastern Virginia and Commonwealth Catholic Charities.
- Center for Marriage, Family & Life, Diocese of Richmond
- Marriage Preparation and Enrichment, Diocese of Arlington
- For Your Marriage, resources and help for engaged and married couples and families, from the USCCB
- Tuition assistance for Catholic schools in Arlington Diocese, and Richmond Diocese McMahon Parater Foundation and Segura Education Initiative for Children
- Education scholarships donations to Diocese of Arlington, and to Diocese of Richmond McMahon Parater and Segura Education Initiative for Children
- Child Protection and Virtus training, Arlington and Richmond dioceses
Courtesy of the Catholic Diocese of Richmond Office of Catholic Schools
Join our email network
Imagine 700,000 Virginia Catholics standing together for life, justice, family and the common good.