Associate Director for Communications
The Virginia Catholic Conference, the public-policy agency of Virginia’s Catholic bishops and their two dioceses, seeks applicants for the position of Associate Director for Communications. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage and provide overall strategic direction for Virginia Catholic Conference digital and written communications
- Draft, manage and promote website and social media content
- Engage diocesan and partner communications offices
- Serve as point of contact for news media outlets and work to build and maintain proactive media relations
- Develop and circulate press releases, statements, op-eds, parish bulletin content, brochures, flyers, voter education resources and other materials
- Incorporate new technology and techniques to communicate effectively and timely
Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related field is required. Five or more years of experience in media relations/public relations with proven strategic communication planning and skills is highly desired.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate knowledge of and commitment to Catholic teaching, interest in legislative advocacy, outstanding written and oral communication skills, and expertise in social and digital media platforms and strategies. Qualified candidates will also demonstrate strong project management skills and proven ability to write and develop clear messaging on complex issues. Candidates must be practicing Catholics in good standing, and must understand the general operations of the Catholic Church at the parish, diocesan and national levels. The position is based in Richmond. It is full-time and will require some evening and weekend hours.
Full benefits available. For consideration, please send cover letter and resume no later than May 1, 2019 to:
Attn: Jeff Caruso, Executive Director
By e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or mail: Virginia Catholic Conference, 919 East Main Street, Suite 1140, Richmond, VA 23219
Or fax: 804-225-0166
Join our email network
Imagine 700,000 Virginia Catholics standing together for life, justice, family and the common good.